Dewars

Jul 28, 2023
Gallery
Virginia
Current Ride
Bronco
Current Ride #2
'75 Bronco
The 37" KO2s on the Raptor are 'C' load rating and probably one of the lightest 37" (ish) tires on the market. I want something more aggressive and closer to size, so I have been on the hunt for something different.

I came across the 37x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Legend MTZ. This tire is 70lbs- very close to the BFG- and only set for 50psi (also similar to KO2), but is D rated. I wanted to see if anyone had real world experience with this tire- on/off road. How does it handle on the road, is it closer to actual size than the BFG? Other than being an MT, how is the ride quality.

I know its an MT, which will not wear as well, likely track every crack in the road and will be loud...

Great looking agressive tire, I don't have any experience with Mickey Thompson tires but I have heard good things and they are made in USA and owned by Goodyear. There is a couple of members here that have the Mickey Thompson tires, hopefully one of them will will share their experiences and opinions.

I did notice that the 37x12.5 Baja Legend MTZ is listed on the MT web site as 80lbs, little heavier but typical with more agressive MT tires.

It's possible to offset the additional tire weight with lighter wheels. In case you haven't already found this thread, it has a nice collection of Raptor specific wheels with manufacture published weights when available.

I goofed on the weight and was reading the LT315/70R17 weight... my mistake.

I was going to run the Beadlock capable wheels for a while with newer tires first. I was set on getting rid of the wheels when I was on the quest to buy a Braptor, but the wheels have grown on me.

I have considered 13.5" wide tires and running a spacer as well... Not a huge fan of spacers, but I have 2" spacer in my '75 Bronco and 37x14.5 tires with no issues...

I have been thinking of different tires and when we were in Moab I did some trails with Chuck from Raptor Addiction. He does fast desert runs with 150s and Bronco and he said he would stick with the C rated K02's as they are made for the Raptor.

I thought that was interesting. I will be interested in what others think. I thought going to a
D rated would be beneficial and he thought otherwise. I should have questioned him more. I can always give him a call and get his reasoning.

I am still kicking around going to 39's some day so that would change things.

I am running the Falken wildpeak R/T 38x13.5x17. They are a D rating and it definitely made a ride quality difference. Having them at 40 psi was really rough. I also went with the Eibach springs so that may have had a little something to do with it too. I had to get my shop to lower my PSI threshold and run them now at 27 PSI cold to get a better ride. It doesn't wander or anything and seems to be fine now, but I would just be aware that it seems with these particular D rated tires the sidewall are definitely harder and thicker and that may change the ride quality. With the factory BFG's they had a slight bulge in the sidewall at 40 psi. With these there is no bulge even at 27 PSI. They are also heavier and I have noticed a tiny dip in power and obviously going up in height and weight has dropped my MPG down some as well. Looks cool as hell though. HA.

The 'C' rating is key- much more flexible, but most manufacturers just aren't making big 'C' rated tires anymore. I guess they are more geared toward the truck market in 17" wheels as both of those sizes are very common 3/4 ton truck upgrades in D & E sizes.

The small SUV market is more limited to the Jeep and now Bronco crowds for moderately big tires. Maybe in time we see some more C rated tire options in the 37 like they offer in the 40" sizes.

I have been thinking of different tires and when we were in Moab I did some trails with Chuck from Raptor Addiction. He does fast desert runs with 150s and Bronco and he said he would stick with the C rated K02's as they are made for the Raptor.

I thought that was interesting. I will be interested in what others think. I thought going to a
D rated would be beneficial and he thought otherwise. I should have questioned him more. I can always give him a call and get his reasoning.

I am still kicking around going to 39's some day so that would change things.
Chuck was our Bronco Off-Roadeo instructor in Moab this past April, very knowledgeable and highly experienced off-roader including competing in the Baja. Very Cool guy.

I goofed on the weight and was reading the LT315/70R17 weight... my mistake.

I was going to run the Beadlock capable wheels for a while with newer tires first. I was set on getting rid of the wheels when I was on the quest to buy a Braptor, but the wheels have grown on me.

I have considered 13.5" wide tires and running a spacer as well... Not a huge fan of spacers, but I have 2" spacer in my '75 Bronco and 37x14.5 tires with no issues...

I've considered 3/4" (19mm) spacers or less to maintain a positive wheel/tire combo offset. Tracking issues can be contributed to negative offset wheels or large spacers. The positive offset will be less stressful on suspension and steering components. @Turbo yzel has verified that a 2" spacers yield undesirable outcome when off road in his thread post below.

I have Bora wheel spacers in a 3/4" on my wife's Badlands, drives fine on the street and they are made in the USA. For reference, the OEM Bronco Sasquatch wheels have a positive 30mm offset, minus the 3/4" (19mm) spacers leaving a positive 11mm offset which I consider minimal positive offset.

Your 75 Bronco was designed for 29" tall tires, by increasing the tire size dramatically to 37" it allowed (and possibly needed) the 2" spacers to be somewhat close to design specifications.

Last edited:
@Turbo yzel has verified that a 2" spacers yield undesirable outcome when off road in his thread post below.

Your 75 Bronco was designed for 29" tall tires, by increasing the tire size dramatically to 37" it allowed (and possibly needed) the 2" spacers to be somewhat close to design specifications.
I saw that video of TurboYzel also- while I will ride some easy trails in this, I wont be jumping it- with or without the BFGs....

I didn't understand your comment on the '75. I have 37x14.5 tires on 15x10 wheels- the spacers needed to be on there for clearance to the radius arms- pushing the tires significantly (but not awkwardly) out from under the fenders. Nothing about that vehicle is close to design parameters.

My comment on spacers is that there are potential issues due to offsetting the centerline of the tire/wheel from the bearings and steering centerline, but I have seen no impact on another vehicle I own- and driveability didn't suffer (at least not from the spacers).

I agree with you, I'm using 1 1/8" spacers on my wrangler with stock wheels however I'm still within a positive offset, tires have a little poke out from the fender outside edges, drives fine on the street, doesn't track well but it didn't without the spacers either. The nice feature with spacers is ease of adding and removing. If we were to take my wifes Badlands offroad I would likely remove the spacers and reinstall for daily driving on the street as in this case the spacers are simply for appearance.

On your '75 I was just referring to bringing back the scrub radius closer to design intent since the larger diameter tires would have a increase in negative scrub radius and between the wheel offset and spacers it adds a positive scrub radius. This I suspect is just a bonus, as I'm guessing tire clearance has neccessitated a majority of the modifications. Sounds like a Cool Bronco, in '75 it would have been considered a monster truck.

I just added the below thread to this forum for future reference and ease of locating for our members.

The last couple minutes of this video also makes me concerned with adding negative wheel offset to our Bronco Raptors.

Last edited:
2ADC63C1-3D39-4115-9CC2-1CBCF6740F18.jpeg

My ‘75

The stock geometry doesn’t relate much here, the front end is a ‘78 high pinion D44 that has been narrowed, long radius arms, 10’ wide wheels with 4’ backspacing and the wide 37” tires. I love it though.

I follow all your points though.

I don’t think drivability of the Raptor will drop much with spacers under 2”. I have seen spacers come loose and even fail- which is of bigger concern- as well as additional wear on the unit bearings.

Can confirm 2” trash
1-1/4” better
Waiting on 3/4” to be in stock
All OEM wheels on mine
Here is 1-1/4”

Be advised that the billet upper control arms are slightly larger so you may want a little wiggle room in the future

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 15
I have a set of Raceline beadlocks +25 with Falken RT 38x13.5. They work great.
I have Bora 0.75” spacers on my OEM wheels (making them a +15) - my plan is to put 39x13.5 KO2s on them in the near future.
I have a 1.5” body lift and am considering Eibach springs (I have way too much gear in the back). If I do, I might look at 40s rather than the 39s.

Back