Towing a 3500 Lb Travel Trailer

S & P

Oct 3, 2024
California
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
So I just installed the Bronco Trailer Brake Controller that we purchased from Ford Performance. The Controller is made by REDARC, simple plug and play. I then contacted Ford to see if I needed to have the OBDII changed to enable the trailer brake control module and the trailer brake control gain setting, which they said yes and wanted $250 bucks. I figured it would be easy enough just to get FORScan and do it myself. Everything was pretty straight forward until I was looking down the list of the IPC Module Configuration and discovered there was no specific Trailer Brake Module or Trailer Brake Gain Setting.

Question, will the Trailer Brake Controller simply work once we connect a travel trailer without needing to change anything in the OBDII?

Here are the following fields I found in the IPC Module Configuration;

Menu - Tow Haul Auto Disabled
TPMS - Trailer Disabled
TCCM Neutral Tow Capable Yes
Neutral Tow Enabled
Trailer Blind Spot Disabled
Trailer TPMS By Location Disabled
Trailer Tow Backup Assist Disabled
Trailer Tow Lighting Disabled
Trailer Sway Control Enabled

Welcome to the forum! There are members on here that have installed and using this trailer brake control module, one of them should be chiming in to help answer your question.

I have a non Ford trailer brake controller. Uses existing brake control plug. Works fine with no software update needed. 23 Raptor.

I had the Ford trailer brake controller installed on my 2023 Bronco Raptor. Although I didn't specifically watch the tech go through the program line by line he did have his laptop connected to complete the programming of the brake controller. I can't answer your specify question because I'm just unsure. I know mine has worked flawlessly since it's been installed. I have heard and read various installs where "They" said it was supposedly plug and play and be on your way. My small hometown Dealer said differently and well I have too much invested in RaptaSquatch to take that chance!

20240620_132524.jpg

I had the Ford trailer brake controller installed on my 2023 Bronco Raptor. Although I didn't specifically watch the tech go through the program line by line he did have his laptop connected to complete the programming of the brake controller. I can't answer your specify question because I'm just unsure. I know mine has worked flawlessly since it's been installed. I have heard and read various installs where "They" said it was supposedly plug and play and be on your way. My small hometown Dealer said differently and well I have too much invested in RaptaSquatch to take that chance!

View attachment 13810
Thank you for your response, just confused now because another gentleman said his works fine and didn't need anything done to his computer. Ugh.

Thank you for your response, just confused now because another gentleman said his works fine and didn't need anything done to his computer. Ugh.
I can understand the frustration and I definitely didn't mean to add to it. I may be completely wrong with what I am about to say but again I wasn't taking the chance with my Raptor.
A lot of these modern day vehicles are using a CAN Bus system for signaling which in my thought process probably would apply to braking also. If RedArc is tapping into that signal "which I do not know" it could be important. The Ford Accessories Store even list "custom ECU to help manage brake signals". Anyway I'm not trying to sell you to the idea...I think I just started rambling my thoughts and couldn't stop...haha. Best of luck!

Screenshot_20241011-001919_Chrome.jpg

For a short haul I'll raise your trailer to a half ton though! 😆

image000000(16).jpg

Top Member Reactions

Back