What did you do to your Bronco Raptor today?

On todays episode of “what I did….” Randy tries pouring gas from a 3 gallon Rotopax into the ford provided ez fill funnel…. Spoiler alert: it didn’t go particularly well.

UPDATE: You can ignore most of what follows below and my subsequent posts. Most of my issues are related to 1) I’m an idiot and 2) I mistakenly way overfilled my Rotopax (because I’m an idiot). On a fresh restart this morning I had a 7/8 full container, a better angle at the fuel filler, more experience and a better attitude. Spilled 2 drops. I then did it again and spilled no drops. I do think breaking off the protuberance on the Rotopax‘s ECO Spout allows the spout to release easier. That said the filler is high, the container is heavy and the Easy Fill is a little more challenging. I think it’s worth it to do a practice run

in preparation for a Death Valley trip in a couple weeks, I decided to do a wet “dry run” of refueling from my Rotopax (3 gal).

as we all are aware the Raptor doesn’t get great gas mileage and places called “Death” anything trouble me. So I thought I’d be fully prepared.

After a dry run (no fuel) earlier my Rotopax spout appeared to work nicely with the capless ez fill on the Raptor. However….

Once you introduce 20+ lbs of fuel and plastic things get decidedly more challenging.

first the Rotopax wouldn’t pour, then it broke when I tried removing it. Oh well, Plan B. Direct pour into the provided EZ fill spout.

A significant complicating factor is that the fuel filler is almost nipple high on a 6‘2” man. Ever tried holding 20+lbs of unsupported weight in front of you at shoulder height while trying to pour gasoline neatly into 3 inch long oblong funnel at a rate of 3 gallons per hour? I don’t chop wood for a living so, It’s not as much fun as it sounds. Trust me. It’s not.

So Plan C, a bigger funnel. You can get the funnel in by probing around for the sealed closure once your past the dust cover. Pushing in the upper right of the door, allowed it to open to slide the funnel in. But……there is a spring that tries to kick the funnel out. Finally a use for the mini bungee cords I didn’t know what to do with (see pic). I’ll try this in the morning, I’ve already spilled all the gas I’m going to spill for the day.

Plan D. Park next to a large boulder and refuel while standing on it.

Now soliciting ideas for Plan E….

FC37A584-3556-4B4C-99EC-904B05068A87.jpeg

Last edited:
On todays episode of “what I did….” Randy tries pouring gas from a 3 gallon Rotopax into the ford provided ez fill funnel…. Spoiler alert: it didn’t go particularly well.

in preparation for a Death Valley trip in a couple weeks, I decided to do a wet “dry run” of refueling from my Rotopax (3 gal).

as we all are aware the Raptor doesn’t get great gas mileage and places called “Death” anything trouble me. So I thought I’d be fully prepared.

After a dry run (no fuel) earlier my Rotopax spout appeared to work nicely with the capless ez fill on the Raptor. However….

Once you introduce 20+ lbs of fuel and plastic things get decidedly more challenging.

first the Rotopax wouldn’t pour, then it broke when I tried removing it. Oh well, Plan B. Direct pour into the provided EZ fill spout.

A significant complicating factor is that the fuel filler is almost nipple high on a 6‘2” man. Ever tried holding 20+lbs of unsupported weight in front of you at shoulder height while trying to pour gasoline neatly into 3 inch long oblong funnel at a rate of 3 gallons per hour? I don’t chop wood for a living so, It’s not as much fun as it sounds. Trust me. It’s not.

So Plan C, a bigger funnel. You can get the funnel in by probing around for the sealed closure once your past the dust cover. Pushing in the upper right of the door, allowed it to open to slide the funnel in. But……there is a spring that tries to kick the funnel out. Finally a use for the mini bungee cords I didn’t know what to do with (see pic). I’ll try this in the morning, I’ve already spilled all the gas I’m going to spill for the day.

View attachment 6837
I was suspecting there would be difficulties especially with the OEM "dinky" emergency funnel. I think this is a Rotopax problem if they intend to sell to Bronco owners, mainly Raptors with the fenders in the way. I would contact them for a possible solution vs. spilling more gas and hopefully they have a perfected work around.
I'm glad you tried this at home before hand.

I'm expecting "Lite Brite" on their Arctic journey with the same Rotopax containers as yours is in for a surprise. They have already found when the gauges goes to "0" miles remaining they went another 5 miles to the next gas station.

View attachment 6837
Do you have the Rotopax ECO spout? Not sure if it will open our Bronco Raptor's fuel fill, if not, Rotopax needs to offer one that will. Rotopax ECO Spout

1679021430130.png

I was suspecting there would be difficulties especially with the OEM "dinky" emergency funnel. I think this is a Rotopax problem if they intend to sell to Bronco owners, mainly Raptors with the fenders in the way. I would contact them for a possible solution vs. spilling more gas and hopefully they have a perfected work around.
I'm glad you tried this at home before hand.

I'm expecting "Lite Brite" on their Arctic journey with the same Rotopax containers as yours is in for a surprise. They have already found when the gauges goes to "0" miles remaining they went another 5 miles to the next gas station.

you did warn me! 🤪

I just watched that video, I was really hoping they’d run out of gas so I could see how they handled it with exactly my set up. That would have been no fun ay Minus 30!

the 3 gallon Rotopax is no picnic, but a 20L Jerry can seems even harder to manage at shoulder level. Fortunately most of us will ever have to actually use our extra gas very often.

The flares aren’t really an issue though although they get hit with any spilt fuel.

I have many Memories of Driving Highway 17. My Dad worked for CALTRANS and did most of the surveying. I believe its 880 Now. I used to take my Mustang on Highway 9, back in the 70's. Lots of memories of Santa Cruz.

Do you have the Rotopax ECO spout? Not sure if it will open our Bronco Raptor's fuel fill, if not, Rotopax needs to offer one that will. Rotopax ECO Spout

View attachment 6839
I have those spouts on my Rotopax. It worked great when the container was empty (and light). The spout slipped right in and the valve mechanism triggered smoothly to open the spout.

however when you have three gallons of gas in a several pound unwieldy container at shoulder height things get a little trickier. The spout is harder to line up, the valve in the spout didn’t pop open and when I tried to pull the spout out it broke off the black plastic protuberance.

I’m going to try it again today. I’ll be more prepared for the weight and height than yesterday. I’m sure it’ll go better.

in any event, in an emergency situation, I’d get fuel in one way or another, there would probably be a mess, but I wouldn’t be walking home.

I just didn’t foresee that this would be that much harder than using a one gallon gas can with a metal flex nozzle in a gas guzzling 69 AMX when I was a kid. It’s been about that long since I ran out of gas last.

I have many Memories of Driving Highway 17. My Dad worked for CALTRANS and did most of the surveying. I believe it’s 880 Now. I used to take my Mustang on Highway 9, back in the 70's. Lots of memories of Santa Cruz.
Good times and great memories of riding my RD400 and CB400F on Skyline, 9, 17, La Honda road and others! Before that we used to hitchhike with our BMX bikes in the back of trucks from Saratoga up 9 to Skyline and coast back down too. So much fun.

I have those spouts on my Rotopax. It worked great when the container was empty (and light). The spout slipped right in and the valve mechanism triggered smoothly to open the spout.

however when you have three gallons of gas in a several pound unwieldy container at shoulder height things get a little trickier. The spout is harder to line up, the valve in the spout didn’t pop open and when I tried to pull the spout out it broke off the black plastic protuberance.

I’m going to try it again today. I’ll be more prepared for the weight and height than yesterday. I’m sure it’ll go better.

in any event, in an emergency situation, I’d get fuel in one way or another, there would probably be a mess, but I wouldn’t be walking home.

I just didn’t foresee that this would be that much harder than using a one gallon gas can with a metal flex nozzle in a gas guzzling 69 AMX when I was a kid. It’s been about that long since I ran out of gas last.
Is there an option out there for a hand-pump mechanism that can be used so one wouldn't have to bench-press the can up high & be able to concentrate on hose management ?

Reactions: SBP
Good times and great memories of riding my RD400 and CB400F on Skyline, 9, 17, La Honda road and others! Before that we used to hitchhike with our BMX bikes in the back of trucks from Saratoga up 9 to Skyline and coast back down too. So much fun.
UPDATE: You can ignore most of what I said above.

Most of my issues are related to 1) I’m an idiot and 2) I mistakenly way overfilled my Rotopax (because I’m an idiot). On a fresh restart this morning I had a 7/8 full container, a better angle at the fuel filler, more experience and a better attitude. Spilled 2 drops. I then did it again and spilled no drops. I do think breaking off the protuberance on the Rotopax‘s ECO Spout allows the spout to release easier. That said the filler is high, the container is heavy and the Easy Fill is a little more challenging. I think it’s worth it to do a practice run

Most of my issues are related to 1) I’m an idiot and 2) I mistakenly way overfilled my Rotopax (because I’m an idiot). On a fresh restart this morning I had a 7/8 full container, a better angle at the fuel filler, more experience and a better attitude. Spilled 2 drops. I then did it again and spilled no drops. I do think breaking off the protuberance on the Rotopax‘s ECO Spout allows the spout to release easier. That said the filler is high, the container is heavy and the Easy Fill is a little more challenging. I think it’s worth it to do a practice run
Congrats! did you still use the OEM white funnel with the ECO spout?

Another thought for the crowd here: this is why a lot of people get the smaller 2 gallon cannisters. Less weight to hoist!

Then again, my wife has a 4gal Rotopax for her Rubicon, but the lower filler location make a big difference. You are spot on with all your observations. Thx for "taking one for the team"!

UPDATE: You can ignore most of what follows below and my subsequent posts. Most of my issues are related to 1) I’m an idiot and 2) I mistakenly way overfilled my Rotopax (because I’m an idiot). On a fresh restart this morning I had a 7/8 full container, a better angle at the fuel filler, more experience and a better attitude. Spilled 2 drops. I then did it again and spilled no drops. I do think breaking off the protuberance on the Rotopax‘s ECO Spout allows the spout to release easier. That said the filler is high, the container is heavy and the Easy Fill is a little more challenging. I think it’s worth it to do a practice run

View attachment 6837
Your episodes are entertaining and informative! I love tuning in to see what Randy is up to today. Thank you for the laughs and the information. 🍻

Is there an option out there for a hand-pump mechanism that can be used so one wouldn't have to bench-press the can up high & be able to concentrate on hose management ?
Exactly what I'm going to get. I know there are several on the market. I'm 5'2, even though I have done a lot of shoulder building on the ranch, I don't think I can manage doing that if I can't see it 🤣

Congrats! did you still use the OEM white funnel with the ECO spout?
i did use both after my first fail with the ECO Spout.

The ECO Spout with the ford funnel was a bigger fail, not easy to rest the ECO spout in funnel or reliably pour into the funnel.

Getting the ECO spout properly seated in the capless filler with valve open was ultimate key to victory. Also not having the container overfilled was critical to avoiding spillage, With the ECO spout totally engaged it was much easier to support the weight of the Rotopax, but it still requires getting in a good position to support the container.

I lived right at the base of 9 growing up (Saratoga side). My mom and dad used to take us up early Sunday mornings and we'd do the same...coast back to town on our early bmx bikes (some of which were Schwinn String Rays we'd modified to be more bmx-like). That turned into coming back down through Sanborn Park in my high school years on bikes we'd modified to 'mountain bike'...early 80's. It's such a cool spot.

Your episodes are entertaining and informative! I love tuning in to see what Randy is up to today. Thank you for the laughs and the information. 🍻
Thank you! So you’re going to love todays episode when Randy learns he doesn’t know Jack, but soon does.

Intending to do a Friday night snow run with Gold Country Broncos group, I decide to depart from the staging area after a miscommunication on start time (it was pushed back after I left home unbeknownst to me).

The usual staging area is a couple miles off pavement due to our recent record snowfall. Which left the trail a deeply rutted to the diff, snaking, slippery at the bottom, yet solidly frozen mess,

I had to air down going in to the staging area to 10 psi after barely getting up a long climb. Waited in vain for my group, then decided to bail and drove back out.

After no one showed (yet) I decided to head back out. I ran into a few of my group on the way out, then about 400 yds from pavement I lost the bead on my passenger front tire. Fortunately I had the tire pressure displayed on the instrument panel and realized what happened immediately.

A de-beaded tire with the The bottom of the truck sitting snuggly on the frozen trail presents some challenges. So I spent my alone time while waiting for the Calvary (contacted by radio) digging (chopping?, Ice Axing?) out the front end and jacking point under the frame.

fortunately, I had the presence of mind to remove side steps before leaving home. This allowed me to save a step as digging out a jacking point with those on would be impossible.

since this was front end and how the truck was sitting, the easy jacking solution was out of play (frame too high for my jack). The Calvary arrived with a high lift but the orientation of the truck didn’t allow safely lifting with it (why I don’t own one). Finally dug out enough snow to insert max tracks and used factory scissor jack after almost all digging, spare ready and lugs off the front tire.

pro tip: learn how to use your jack before you need it! It did take me a few minutes to figure out that the bolt used to hold down the jack is the same bolt you need to attach the extension to your jack. Beyond that it’s a simple scissor jack. Just something you don’t want to figure out when tired and stressed.

pro tip: I could manage the wheel/tires okay, but they are heavy and getting the spare on the front end while down in a rut is hard. Make plenty of space before lifting the truck. I thought I did, but had to do a little more. Better yet, don’t wheel alone (I didnt think I was going in) or at least bring a friend. It took to people to get the tire on. I would have got it eventually, but it would have required a LOT of time, effort and swearing.

After getting the tire, everything buttoned up nicely. Fortunately, despite not having someone immediately with me, I had everything I need and the ability to extract my self. But it would have been a much longer night without the cavalry.

and if I wasn’t able to get out, I had satellite messenger, radio, food, water, sleeping bag, mattress etc. and even a back pack stove for coffee in the morning. When you’re an idiot like me, you need to be prepared.

Root cause? I think the air pressure was too low for the conditions. In fresh snow, I’ve gone lower, but the deep, frozen, snaking ruts created more side low stresses than figured on.

ADEED8CA-76FC-4B1F-8C26-3258206AAF2E.jpeg
9E236206-9D1B-4916-9E81-22B01EA54012.jpeg

Just came in this morning, Ford to the rescue. A little late as usual…

A5AE36A6-677C-4015-8799-4A3EE811C1E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, I'm glad you weren't alone when that happened! Since you air down often do you think you will get some beadlock wheels or just not air down to 10 psi again?

Back